Monday 4 July 2011

THE WINDRUSH YEARS (1948-1998)

1. 50 years - historic voyage of west Indians and were joined on their life-changing Atlantic voyage by some 500 other Caribbean men and women keen to visit England, over time "the Windrush generation" and their families have become integral to our society.

2. Taught to respect royal family - could not say anything against them.

3. In 1957, 2oo men returned back to the carribean.

4. The white British didn't understand the music taste of the Carribeans.

5. People after a certain time began to mix and start becoming friends with each other. The idea of sitting down for a drink together started to become more known.

6. They brung a new culture to britain, for example music, clothing and food.

7. A riot is started due to a group of youths chasing a Jamaican into a shop. Police are called and a mass of people watch what happens to this man.

8. Black people were beaten up on streets due to there colour, however many white people believed this was wrong and knew it had to be stopped.

9. People didn't want their churches due to the idea that the white felt that they would lose their white community as a result of this.

10. Black political action in Britain found its first focus in 1963 in Bristol.

11. Michael X was known as a very strong person who was only seen to want to speak the truth of his feelings towards different matters.

12. The conservative people began very divided due to the different views given.

13. A quote from Arthur Curling from the windrush years shows the views of someone involved within it, 'I came to England first in 1944 in the Airforce. I returned back to Jamaica in 1946 after spending two years there, it was too small for me. I joined the Airforce when I was 16 at the same time I left school, took my test and waited for the results. It was something beautiful at the time to all the young fellows in uniform. You think you want to be a part of something, but apart from that you can't always say why you do something, you're young, you don't stop and think of the dangers and things, you just do what you feel you want to do regardless of what your parents say. My parents did not approve in the beginning, but they had no choice at the time, but like everything else, its your life or your education, you gain an experience. I went back to JA in November 1946, the Windrush came in 1948, I returned to England, you know your parents are strict for one, now you have more freedom. After you reach a certain time in life you think you want to get away from the control of your parents'.

14. 60 years after Windrush: Significant immigration to the UK from the Caribbean began on 22 June 1948 with the arrival of the SS Empire Windrush at Tilbury in Essex. In 2008, Ipswich Celebrates is looking at the ongoing effects on Britain.

15. The 'Windrush Generation' refers to the whole first wave of immigrants from the West Indies rather than just the 492 passengers on the boat itself. By extension, it also refers to the mass-immigration from Asia.

Vince Reid's story about the Windrush years...

My parents brought me on the Windrush - I had no choice in the matter. They didn't have to - it was obvious they came in search of a better life, better opportunities. It was quite a devastating experience. I was thirteen when I arrived so I wasn't a man, I was a boy. Most of the people on the Windrush were men. I had never been out of Kingston same as for anybody, to go on this big ship, for all those days it was quite an experience.

I went to school in Kings Cross. I never associated with white people in any significant degree, and then school I came across real hostility. I mean to say I had no friends for several years that wouldn't be far from the truth.

I only had friends when I had gone through the Airforce and came out. I joined the Airforce when I was sixteen, what they call a boy entrant an Airforce apprentice. By the time I came out there were more black people in this country.

I am 62 years old now. I have been here 50 years . I would prefer to live here. Well, my family is here, my wife, my grandchildren are here.

I have no significant roots in Jamaica. I have been back to Kingston several times. My circumstances were significantly different to everyone else's, but personally I like England, it's a nice place to live. It's not to say it doesn't have its problems, racism and so on.

1 comment:

  1. These notes are too short to be of any value to you

    ReplyDelete